Monday, May 13, 2019

The end-of-school year rush

This time of year - the time between Spring break and the last day of school - means one thing for parents everywhere: This is the time of year when we are inundated with requests from the school. Did you buy a yearbook? Pay for that end-of-year trip? Do you understand the end of grade testing? Here's a signup link for a party/competition/event. Do you have time to volunteer as a proctor or at the dance? We need something for the classroom tomorrow, can you supply it?

The flood of requests come in, and I can't help but think that at least a few of the events could have been held before Spring Break. It's almost like the school is in a rush to do as much as possible before that final bell, and they need a lot of help to get to the finish line. While I understand that teachers have to be flexible with their lesson plans when students need more time to master a lesson, I wonder if they are taking on too much as well.

Like a lot of parents, I try to answer the school's call for help. But I realized some time ago that I don't have to answer every request. (Madness lies that way.) Instead, I've adopted a more laid back model: If we can supply something quickly, we'll do it (hello, online payment system for yearbook dues); if schedules have to be re-arranged to accommodate a request, then we'll pass (I can't take off work with little notice). Because if I am stressed, then my son will definitely pick up on that.

And the last thing I want is for him to feel stress around the end of the school year.

Are you fielding a lot more end-of-year requests from the school? Tell me about them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment