Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Strengthening communication with schools

I get a lot of communications from my son's school. This includes everything from text messages and emails to printed notes and online flyers. I try to read through everything that comes in and ensure that I am not missing anything major. Sometimes this is difficult, as the school sends multiple messages out each week.

But, overall, I am happy with the way that the school reaches out to parents and ensures that we are informed about what's going on in any given week. Communication is important, and I make sure that my son's teachers know how to contact me. In my parent-teacher conferences I explicitly tell the teachers that I have no problem with them reaching out to me if anything is needed - whether that is more tissues and disinfecting wipes for the classroom or something that needs to be addressed with my son.

The downside to this is that my son is at a disadvantage here: His teachers have an instant way of communicating with me - even before he has a chance to know. With the ability to look at his grades and get school notifications, sometimes I know how he did on a test before he does. And, I do think that is unfair. My son does deserve the chance to communicate his school life to me from his perspective. I need to make sure I give him that opportunity.

Does your school do a good job of telling you what is going on? Tell me about it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment