Monday, October 22, 2018

That's not for you to share

I have no idea if my Mom posts about me on social media. I think she mostly watches other people's feeds to stay connected to the rest of her family. But, that's just a guess (since I don't have Facebook to watch her watch me).

If social media was around when I was little, I am 100 percent positive my Mom would have posted information about me for her friends and relatives to see. I am not sure how I would have reacted to that.

I probably wouldn't have liked it. And I am basing that on the fact that most children do not like their parents posting about them on social media. I find that link on "Sharenting" fascinating, because it doesn't seem to matter how old the child is in the relationship: Adult children, teenagers and young parents all don't want their parents posting about them.

I think it depends on the context. For example, my Mom texted me while I was traveling for work. I was with my team - just hanging out and talking - and her text made me smile. They noticed and asked me who made me smile and so I shared it with them: A note from my Mom telling me she was proud of me. It sparked a great conversation about the bonds we share with people over a lifetime and how we connect with our Mothers as we get older.

Would I have felt differently if that message from my Mom was on a social media site and not on a text message? Probably not. But, then again, it wasn't a picture of me naked in the bathtub.

So, there you have it: You can post, but consider the context and your child's feelings. It's hard to remember in the moment, but totally worth it.

By the way: Thanks, Mom!

Do you ever regret posting something about your child on social media? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment