Wednesday, May 23, 2018

The Moms who work for themselves

I have a lot of friends who own a business. They are successful designers, store owners, consultants and life coaches. I love this about my friends. I love their sense of adventure, and that they found a way to feed their creativity and that they are providing for their families. They are good at what they do and they are happy.

I recognize that several decades ago, being an entrepreneur wasn't a popular option for most women. For example, back in Maude's day, most women didn't have the options that my friends and I have today.

While I know that entrepreneurship is not a part of my current life goals, I admire the people who take the plunge. What I think is funny is when I read articles discussing how entrepreneurship is good for Moms.

Of course it is good for Moms! Here's a list of why:
  • Moms are not afraid to fail. Anyone who has had to bring home their newborn and completely trust their own instincts in order to keep another person alive is no longer afraid of anything. (Except maybe snakes.)
  • Moms are great negotiators. Have you ever tried talking a three-year-old out of a tantrum? That takes some mad skills.
  • Moms are creative. These are the people who have put together school projects with their children the night before they are due.
  • Moms can master a schedule. They know how to get where they need to go to the exact minute. 
I understand when my friends tell me that they only want to stay at home with their children. And I understand when my friends tell me that they want to go back to work. Neither of those choices are easy; both of those choices are brave.

So here's a toast to all the Moms out there - no matter what their choices are!

If you could own your own business, what would it be? Tell me in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment