Friday, December 8, 2017

I didn't know there was such a thing as time-ins

When I was in elementary school, there was a boy in my class named Tommy who was sent to the corner for a time out at least once a day. Sometimes it was multiple times a day. It got to the point at which my friends and I discussed it and decided that Tommy probably liked being in the corner and all the extra attention and how annoying it was that the teacher didn't notice and come up with a better punishment for his classroom disturbances.

Maybe he needed a time-in instead.

Don't worry, I didn't know what a time-in was either. Evidently, instead of sending your child to a designated spot away from all stimuli (and your talking), a time-in is when you stop all the activity to cuddle the child and help them name their feelings and talk them through what is going on.

I am all for helping children express their feelings accurately, but I will admit that on the occasions when I gave my son a time out, I needed one as well. We both needed that break from one another to calm down so that we could discuss what happened without me yelling at him and without him tuning me out.

I think the key to whatever discipline method you use is that you do it effectively and that you pick the one that your child responds to the most. Otherwise, none of us will learn from our mistakes.

Do you use time outs (or time ins) with your child? Tell me why or why not in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. We use timeouts even though my son is only 18 months, we think it's important that we help him realize that he is upset and needs time to calm down. I like the idea though of using time ins with him, because he is so young and is still learning to identify emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they work out for him (and you), Rachel!

    ReplyDelete