Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Thinking about ways to improve

At least once a week I have an argument with my son over homework. I fully understand his position: He doesn't want to do it. I am not sure that he understands my position, however: Homework is a part of school; it is a way to show comprehension of materials learned during the week. I am just trying to read him his spelling words.

It's a stalemate.

I'm looking forward to the summer, when there is no homework, and I plan on rethinking the strategy of homework for next year. In fact, it is this kind of strategic thinking that we all need more of in our lives. For example, when directed to strategically think about an upcoming test or paper they had to write, students far out-performed their non-strategic thinking peers. It's an interesting concept: Just preparing yourself for what you think the test will be about, makes you focused on the material you need to know to excel on the test.

I know that this skill set might not come in handy for my son as he heads into second grade next year, but if I can out-think my little guy's objections to homework, maybe it will be worth it.

What homework lessons did you learn this year to apply to your children next year? Share with me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment