Friday, October 7, 2016

How much time do you spend with your children?

Sometimes I don't think I spend enough time with my son.

I work full-time (and overtime). So on weekdays, I see my son as I motivate him through his morning routine and from when I get dinner on the table through when I tuck him into bed at night. Weekends are considerably better as we go through our chores and adventures, and are in each other's company for most of the day.

So, it was surprising to learn that some researchers think I am spending more time with my son than the average mother did in 1965

That little nugget of information is hard to wrap my head around. Context, of course, is important, as I have to remember that children were encouraged to go outside and play in 1965. We live in a time where we are not allowed to send children out into our neighborhoods to roam sans parents. We are taking our children with us wherever we go on the weekends, and we are super involved in all their extra curricular activities. Go to any children's soccer game and you'll see crowds of parents cheering from the sidelines - very few children are left to play without their number one fans in attendance.

And all that time we spend together adds up, but somehow, it still doesn't feel like enough, does it?

What would you do with your children if you had more time? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment