Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Keep off my (very small) lawn

My son does not like the backyard in our new house.

In our old house, there was a big backyard that was mostly flat and it was perfect for water battles and running around. In the new house, the backyard mostly consists of a hill (that will be great for sledding on), but we definitely can't have water battles there.

It's smaller, too.

And that means we are pretty much on trend with a lot of new home construction, as more and more Americans are choosing to have a larger house over a larger lawn.

When my husband and I started looking for a new home, we originally had "large lawn" on our list of features we wanted. But then we fell in love with a house and a lot, and I have absolutely no regrets (in fairness: I also don't have to mow the hill in the yard, as my wonderful husband takes care of the yard maintenance).

So, we have a smaller lawn, which means that I have to work a little harder to give my son opportunities to play outside - whether that is riding bikes, taking our water battles to the community area or visiting the playground and pool more often. And maybe if it snows this year and he is able to sled down the hill, he'll be happy with our yard.

Was the size of the lawn a factor in choosing where to live? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment