Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The stigmas of womanhood

I was in the store with my son, when a woman remarked at how well behaved he was being. I smiled (because I was filled with mommy happiness at the compliment) and agreed - he is a really great little guy. Then, the conversation took a turn for the worse.

"Is he your only one?" she asked.

"Yes." I said.

"Oh, he needs a sibling," she said with an unjustified pompous air.

Let's forget for a moment that this women is a stranger. I took a closer look at her - she is around my Mother's age. And she has judged me for having only one child.

It is shortly after this exchange that I read Time's piece on the stigmas women still face every day. It is scary to think that in today's modern world, women are still judged for their choice to remain child free, to not marry or to only have one child. Reading through that piece reminds me how much women have had to fight to make their own decisions and how deeply ingrained people's world views are about women. Heaven forbid we should choose our own paths in life that lead us to happiness and that everyone learn to accept it.

Baby steps, I know.

As for the woman in the store. I responded the same way that I always do when strangers overstep their bounds:

"Thanks for your opinion, but we're happy the way we are."

How do you deal with the stigmas surrounding womanhood? Leave me your thoughts in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment