Monday, April 27, 2015

Relax, Mom

I was sitting in the living room reading a book. My son wandered downstairs and climbed into my lap.

"You haven't checked on me in a while," he said.

"That's right," I answered. "You have free time to do what you want to do, and you know the rules of the house, and you clearly know where I am, so I'm not worried about you. You're a big kid."

He beamed at that and then asked me what I was doing.

"Reading my book," I said.

"And then what will you do?" he asked.

"I don't know." I said.

"Don't you have a plan?" he asked in a way that made me slightly regret teaching him what that word meant.

"Nope," I said. "Sometimes it is good not to have a plan. Sometimes it's good just to relax."

He hugged me and went upstairs. I have no idea what he did, because I did not follow him. I went back to reading my book.

He was happy; I was happy.

Too often I think about my over-scheduled adult life - the meetings, the chores and the obligations. There is little time for me to relax, unless I make myself do it. Does it seem odd that I schedule relaxation time in my day? Yes. But, that is the only way I've figured out how to make it happen.

I want to set a better example for my son. I want him to know that it is OK for us not to just see what happens. I want him to know that it is OK for Mom to relax.

What do you do to relax? Take a deep breath and tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment