Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Who is smarter in your marriage?

My husband and I have different educational backgrounds. I really enjoyed all my years of school, made excellent grades and went off to complete college in less than four years. My husband's experience was different as he doesn't have many fond memories of classes.

Turns out we are a pretty typical modern-day couple.

A study in the American Sociological Review has been taking a look at marriages formed between 1950 and 2004. It has determined that marriages between couples with the same level of education is the most common, but when there is a difference between education levels, women are nowadays more likely than men to have the higher level of learning.

For marriages that fell in the beginning of that spectrum - from the 1950s through the late 1970s - women who were more educated then their partners were more likely to have that marriage end in divorce. But such marriages that fall after 1990 with a more educated women show no higher divorce rates than other types of couples.

What does all this mean? Are we possibly getting rid of that stereotype that a man has to be smarter than his wife? Although we still have a long way to go toward equality and flexibility in marriages (like chores, for example), this is a great first step.

Reading this study made me think about my own marriage. Even though our feelings toward education are different, I would say that my husband and I are equally intelligent - but about different subjects. And that is what is important to me: My husband has a thirst for knowledge in some specific fields that he enjoys. A lot of times these fields don't overlap with what I enjoy learning about, but I'm happy about that outcome. Hopefully, in the future, my son will be able to glean knowledge from each of us and become a well rounded individual.

What about you? Who is the more educated partner in your household? Or are you educational equals? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment