Monday, July 14, 2014

I need more screens to focus

At home, I work on this blog and my podcast on my laptop. One screen. That's it. I have days where I am really productive, and days when I feel like I could do better.

At work, I have a two-monitor set up. I have always thought that the second screen makes me more productive because I don't have to flip back and forth between programs to complete my projects: If I can see more, than I can do more.

Turns out there are some people who take this concept further: One function per screen/device. So, there are people out there who work on their computers, but only answer emails on their tablets and only pay attention to their social media on their phones. It sounds rather split up at first, until you consider it further. How many times have you been working on something only to be distracted by a message popping up on your screen?

Instead, you can finish up what you are doing, then switch devices for a while to work on something else.

I am trying to picture this for myself. To focus on anything will there simply be a pile of screens on our desks awaiting our attention? I'm not big on screen time, but maybe multiple devices with a single functionality will make it easier on our kids and help them complete tasks without distractions.

How do you stay focused on one project at a time? Tell me your tips in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment