Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Falling in love 101

When my son sees two people kissing, he often says, "Those two people are kissing and then they will go and get married." Evidently my sex talks with him have paid off. (Just kidding.) When I ask him about the leap from kissing to married, he shows me the various wedding pictures of my husband and I kissing right before we tied the knot.

I told him that Mommy and Daddy spent a long time together before we actually got married and there were lots of steps in between the first kiss and our wedding day. He then told me that he would get married one day, but he wasn't sure who the person was going to be yet. (I've assured him he has plenty of time and not to feel rushed.)

As it turns out, people aren't making time for love anymore. And we are now at the point where the subject of falling in love and long-term dating have become topics of study in college.

Several universities are offering classes in building long-term relationships. Evidently, students are so academically minded or focused on their resumes, or they are unsure of how to interact in person (without technology) that they need some additional help. Although some of these classes don't offer credits (so no one could really major in love), it's still time out of a student's busy schedule to learn about what they've missed along the way.

From time-to-time, I have thought up various classes that I think should be taught in college, but one on dating has never crossed my mind.

But maybe it is a good idea - even at my son's school level, they are not allowed to hug inside the classrooms. (It's really cute that they've found the loophole and walk outside the classroom together to hug each other hello or good-bye.)

Is dating a lost art or is this a bad idea? Tell me what you think in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment