Friday, June 20, 2014

Accessorizing the slubby mummy

Whenever I dropped my son off at his old school, I'd see another mother with a wardrobe problem. She'd often be dressed in pajama pants, over-sized t-shirts and flip-flops.

I used to see this mother and sigh. What message does this mother send to her children with the way she dresses in public?

Don't get me wrong - I have fallen victim to slubby mummy disease myself, where I am not even sure if I match. But that's only when I'm alone in the house. If other people are going to be looking at me, I make sure to run a brush through my hair and wear clothing that I wouldn't wear to bed.

But, I admit that I am a boring dresser. So, I am trying to branch out a bit. And to do that, I'm asking my son for help.

This plan may sound crazy, but my son has been picking out his own clothes since he was three (I'm NOT allowed to do it for him.) Granted, I've given him enough neutral shorts that he usually matches without trying too hard. But I've noticed he isn't interested in matching. He is interested in fun.

So now, I look for fun. It's because of my son that I've bought a bright orange purse (his favorite color) over a black one. (And I get compliments on it all the time.) It's because of him that I wear fun ornaments in my hair. It's because of him that I wear crazy socks. It makes people smile when they see me. It makes me smile. And when I smile, I feel a little less slubby.

What fun accessory do you love to wear? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment