Thursday, September 26, 2013

Teach your child to lose

In my house we play board games. My husband and I play them; and now that my son is old enough, he plays them with us, too. Candy Land, Hi Ho Cherry-O and the Sneaky Snacky Squirrel are all welcome activities in our evenings.

My son understands the rules, does a good job taking his turn and enjoys playing. But, one time after he lost, he glared at me and then flipped the board over. Whoa. 

So, now we are teaching our son to lose. Growing up, we lose a lot in life and it's important to handle it well. That makes me especially appreciate this piece prompting parents to avoid activities that give out a participation trophy.

Makes me wonder what kind of crazy participation trophies people have been getting.

No comments:

Post a Comment