Monday, September 16, 2013

Maybe you aren't doing the voices right: Reading books with your children

By my estimates, I have read Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site 4,000 times to my son. It is an amazing book for any child who loves construction equipment and the rhymes are soothing and phenomenal. 

But I am not here to write a book report.

At about read number 1,442, I started making up funny voices for each of the different trucks. This innovation on my part (mostly to keep myself from settling into a droning, bored tone while reading it), was met with resistance from my son, who yelled at me to "read it the right way."

So, he's not interested in funny voices yet. I get that. (I'll try again in another 4,000 reads.) I am just thankful that he enjoys my reading to him. Especially when I read the Reading Is Fundamental survey indicating that only one in three parents read to their child at night.

I think we can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment