Friday, August 10, 2018

To volunteer or not volunteer

I am fortunate enough to work for a company that gives time off to volunteer, and I am trying to be better about taking advantage of that time for activities that directly affect my son's life. 

When he was very little and still in pre-school, I chaperoned a few field trips and visited the classrooms. It was enough that I knew most of the other children's names.

As he has gotten older, I've helped with a few activities, but I know that I should be doing more. He is at an age where my volunteering can benefit his academic success.

The thing is: I don't want to embarrass him.

So, I ask him: Do you want me to come to this event? Do you want me to help out with this? Or, I tell him: This is something the school needs help with, so I am going to do it.

I know the truth of these years: He is getting older and no child wants their Mom to be at school with them. He should have his own experiences throughout the day and decide what he wants to tell me. While I need to visit the classroom enough to know his friends and peers, he will want his space.

As we head toward back-to-school conferences, I intend to let his teacher know that I can volunteer when she needs me, but I will make sure that my son is onboard, too.

Do you volunteer at your child's school? Tell me all about it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment