Wednesday, May 16, 2018

There's no place like home (once the kids move out)

My son likes to talk about his life when he is old enough to move out and down the street from me. (Again, I am not going to ruin this plan of his.) He likes to tell me what will be different about his house (cargo nets and trampolines are some of the main living room features), and tells me that I should send over the monthly dinner plan so he knows what nights to pop over for dinner.

During one of these exchanges, he asked me if he could sometimes come over and spend the night in his bedroom.

"What makes you think I would keep your room the same?" I asked him.

The look on his face is priceless.

"Why would you ever change my room?" he asked. "I should always have a room for when I need it."

Maybe he has a point. Maybe not. As a parent, it is hard to imagine your life when your children move out. We think we will be incredibly sad and miss them terribly. But it turns out that the majority of empty nesters are having a lot of fun once the kids move out. And that they are re-designing their children's rooms.

My Mom and StepDad keep some spare bedrooms at their home. One of them used to be labeled as my bedroom, which was always sweet of them as I never lived at that house for long. But it made me feel like I had a place there. After my son was born, my Mom changed the name of that room so it became my son's bedroom. When he stays at her house, he likes having a room there to call his own.

I get it.

Did your parents redesign your bedroom after you left the house? Tell me about it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment