Friday, May 18, 2018

How are you not tired?

Saturdays are hopping at our house.

We do chores and upgrades to the house, we prep for the week ahead, and we try have fun together along the way. My son is usually very understanding about Saturdays and most weekends he is a great helper. I try to be mindful about the amount of chores I drag him to on Saturday, because I want him to have downtime.

But he does help me with chores. And then we play. And then he tromps through the woods. And then he goes to swim class. I love watching my son swim: front crawl, back crawl, breast stroke, butterfly (butterfly!) up and down the length of the pool for a half hour.

And then swim class ends. And he is not tired. How is he not tired? I am tired just watching him.

I know that my son has a much better metabolism than I do. And I know that it takes a lot to wear him out. And yes...I am jealous. Because I am tired. At the end of our weekends, I am really, really tired and I want to sleep.

My son? He wants to stay up and delay bedtime and still has energy to burn. And it is those exact qualities that cause parental tiredness. He wears me out. (By the way...science proved that this is true...so, no, it isn't just your imagination.)

I am OK with my son wearing me out. It's a good kind of tired, and I rely on him to keep me on my toes. And because of him, I sleep like a rock afterward. And all parents love their sleep.

What activities do you do with your child that wear you out? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment