Friday, May 31, 2019

Where does your phone sleep?

There are a lot of movies and television shows in which the main character answers a ringing phone in the middle of the night. They sleepily listen to the emergency or funny story or give the life advice that is needed in that moment and then (somehow) immediately fall back to sleep. 

I think about how improbable that scenario would play out for me, since my phone doesn't sleep in my room at night.

I know that lots of people use their phone for an alarm, or charge it on their nightstand, or - like my husband - sometimes need to keep it in the room because they are on call for their job. But I have an alarm clock, and a charging station outside of the bedroom and my job doesn't need me in the middle of the night. So, my phone isn't in my room while I sleep.

And I think it is fair that the same rule will apply for my son when he gets a phone: The device should have a place to rest outside of his room. I don't want it to interrupt his much needed sleep with alerts and messages like it does for so many other people already

I know that things will change. I am sure that when he wants to go out with friends late at night that I will keep my phone by my bedside in case he needs to call. And I am OK with that exception. I would still expect that on most nights the phone and I sleep in separate rooms. It's an easy habit to build so we can all get some better sleep.

Where does your phone sleep? Tell me in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment