Friday, March 22, 2019

Talking about a few good friends

I thought I was doing a good job at checking in with my son at dinnertime. He would tell me about his day - if anything special happened or who he played with. I got used to hearing a specific set of names that came up in the "so-and-so is my friend" category.

I thought I knew things. I was wrong.

My son was given a stack of birthday invitations and told to hand them out to his friends. And then the rsvps starting coming into my phone - rsvps from parents with children's names that I had never heard of.

And the messages were fascinating, like: Billy is so sorry that he can't come to your son's birthday - as you know they are best friends - he wants to do something special with him on another day. Or: Jane is so excited about your son's party; she says they play together every day.

I had never heard of Billy or Jane before that moment.

When I asked my son about it, he mentioned that they were great friends of his. They just never made it into our dinner conversations.

I think there are a few lessons here. One is that my son has a whole life that is just his within the school, and that is the way it should be. While he can give me glimpses into it, I am never going to know everything. The other lesson is that my son must be featured in some dinner conversations in other households at night...oh, to be a fly on that wall.

Either way, it's good to meet my son's friends.

Do you know who your child's best friend is? Are you sure? Share in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment