Monday, March 25, 2019

Our together-alone time

My son is in his room playing. I don't know what he is doing, but he is having fun. There are lots of happy noises coming from his room and an occasional explosion sound. I asked him if he would like to come into my office and read with me, but he declines. My husband is in his office; I think he is playing a video game. I am not sure where the cat is. We are all at home together, but we are alone.

And this is OK.

I think it is perfectly fine for us to enjoy our own activities, as long as we make sure we are also remember to spend time together.

It turns out that lots of families are spending their time this way: Together but occupied by their own activity. Of course, a lot of that activity means a separate screen.

I am less sure of that being OK, but I think that a certain amount of alone time because of screens is inevitable. After all, the work that my husband and I do involves a computer, and my son has homework on a computer. We are used to being on devices by ourselves.

I think the best plan is to make sure that we are mixing it up - being together is best, but only if we are able to enjoy each other's company.

Does your family spend time in a solo activity while in the same space? Talk about it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment