Wednesday, September 5, 2018

The parenting tricks you learn on the job

I have several Mom friends who have children much older than my son, and I love to listen to them talk. They talk about the new hobbies that their children have, or the ways that they are navigating their child's education or they talk about the deep conversations they have with their children on grown-up topics.

I listen and I learn.

I love listening to the wisdom of these other parents, and they are a huge source of parenting tips and tricks I've received over the years. And, of course, I pass on my own parent tips and tricks to my friends with younger children.

Because this is a thing that all parents do: Share our collective wisdom.

It is an interesting sidebar, however, to consider that the collective wisdom of parents has drastically changed over the generations. We may not be sharing information about domestic chores anymore, but we are definitely swapping tales of screen time rules and defining shortened text speak for each other.

The good news is that we keep the clever tricks that we remember our own parents using with us. Of course, this all makes me wonder what tips and tricks my son will pick up from these days of his life and use with his own children one day.

What's your favorite parenting trick? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment