Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Rethinking the role of Dad at work

I work with a fair amount of men who are fathers. These men are all incredibly intelligent, very conscientious team members and great fathers. I know about the last part, because they share. They open up about their role as Dads, and the way they play with their children and the struggles that they sometimes experience as a working parent.

You know, all the stuff that working Moms have been openly discussing for years.

And I for one, am happy that men are talking about their struggles. It's good to hear that all parents worry about the same things and know that Dads are taking on a stronger parenting role than ever before. It's also nice to know that my coworkers feel safe enough with me to open up about it.

Parenting is wonderful, but it isn't easy. I think it is a healthy sign when men and women feel safe enough to talk about the highs and lows of it with their close coworkers. It's taken a long time for us to get to this point in terms of gender equality: Let's not waste it.

I'll continue to ask my male coworkers about their children, listen to their stories and share mine when appropriate. We are parents; that is what we should do.

How do you help support the other parents you work with? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment