Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Studying education over a lifespan

My son started school at six weeks old. Technically it was more of a daycare situation in the beginning, but the facility was actually a school. So as he got older, they taught him a lot: I have a binder full of his work from that facility - times when he finger painted, pictures of him learning sign language before he could speak, collages that taught him about textures and lots of tracings of his hand.

On the day he graduated from preschool - they made them wear little caps and gowns - I cried a lot. It was hard for me to transition him to a "real" school.

Looking back now, I wonder if his really early education helped him when he got to kindergarten. Did all that time in that early school prepare him better for real school?

Well, researchers seem to think so: They have found a correlation that per-kindergarten programs may have an effect on long-term degrees.

What's interesting about that study, is that it is all a numbers game. They are just looking at the data, not people's feelings. Do most of the people they looked at enjoy school after having been in it so long?

I ask, because I drop my son off at school in the morning every day. And most days...he is not interested in going. He often tells me that he can't wait until he is out of school. Now, granted, this may not be his attitude forever, but I think it would be hard to monitor how he feels about school over the long run.

How does your child feel about school? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment