Wednesday, July 12, 2017

The fad of wellness

A few weeks ago, I went to a conference with my Mom to learn more about blogging. (Once you are done reading this, you should check hers out, it is witty and funny and a good read.) We had a blast. We learned a lot (I have homework now), we talked a lot (I love knowing more about my Mom) and we listened to a lot of people talk about wellness (which was a little odd, considering it was a blogger's conference). 

Here's the thing about me and wellness: I have never been a juicer, gone on a cleanse, gotten into meditation or taken supplements without blood work supporting my need for them (vitamin D and I have had a long history together). I like being healthy and I understand what that is, but I don't believe that wellness - defined as a unity between body and mind - needs to become a focal point in my life.

I understand the appeal. If it wasn't appealing, wellness wouldn't be a multi-million dollar industry right now. A lot of that industry starts from the best of intentions, but there is a giant chunk of it that feeds on our fears that we are not getting everything we need to get out of life.

But I question the sanity of that last statement: If you spent a big portion of your life trying to achieve a perfect mind/body unity and were aware of it all the time, then how long is that state of being going to last before you talk to someone or go somewhere and it is thrown out of whack? To me, that level of awareness sounds exhausting.

In other words: I know that my body needs exercise and good food and enough sleep. And my brain needs to stay active and focused on one thing at a time. I have long ago accepted that I am going to have my good days and my bad days and as long as I am trying my best, that is all I can ask of myself. Is that wellness? Maybe not for you, but it is for me.

What does wellness look like in your family? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment