Wednesday, October 16, 2019

The nostalgia you want to return to

I remember being my son's age quite clearly. Not all of it, of course, but enough of it to recall what I liked about my childhood. I remember lots of fun outside and times at my best friend's house and summers spent at camp. It all seemed magical and wonderful and something I am thankful for.

Cut to my son's life today: He has his own magical time at camps over the summer, and plenty of activities with friends that he is involved in during the school year. I hope that these are the memories that he is retaining. I want him to explore the world, feel connected to others and discover the activities that bring him joy. I want him to do that now so he will know what makes him happy as an adult.

As we grow up, the things that made us happy when we were little seem out of reach. So it is no wonder that adults are creating their own playgrounds. Or their own camps. I loved camp as a kid, and was interested in this long read about one person's experience at a camp for adults. But I am not sure that would be something that I would ever sign myself up for. 

I do, however, understand the appeal: Sometimes it is hard to make new friends in adulthood, and we all just want to return to that level playing field where we had no responsibilities (other than getting to the next activity on time).

I am not sure if adult camps will stick around as my son gets older, or if by the time he is an adult there will be a new nostalgic trend he will want to take part in. My hope is that he always finds a way to connect with the activities that make him happy.

Would you go to an adults-only camp? Tell me what you think in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment