Wednesday, September 18, 2019

The songs that fill your home

I think I need to spend some time looking for some new music to play. 

I get in this music rut every now and then when I play the same playlists too often, and I just want to hear something new (or at least a favorite song that I have temporarily forgotten). It's in these times that I break out of my rut that my son usually gets exposure to new music as well.

We play a fair amount of music in our home. I sometimes play upbeat songs from the early 2000s when I am buzzing about the kitchen; my wonderful husband plays music from his teenage years while he does the evening dishes; we listen to easy '70s sounds when we play board games as a family; our son requests specific songs to play as he zips around the downstairs area on his hoverboard.

All of this exposure to music is a wonderful thing for our son and has resulted in him having a wide variety of tastes. He can belt out a few lyrics to "The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers, as easily as he shakes his hips to "I Can Make Your Hands Clap" by Fitz and the Tantrums. The key thing for my husband and I to remember is that the diversity of songs that we play is important, because it is incredibly unlikely that we can ever shape his taste in music to be just like ours.

In fact, instead of you influencing what your child listens to, your child may very well introduce new music in your life (beyond the soundtrack of the latest Disney film).

It all boils down to this: Play music. Interact with music. Make it a presence in your home so your child can shape a soundtrack to their own life.

What type of music do you like playing in your household? Share with me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment