Friday, September 27, 2019

The other baby in the house

When I work from home, our family cat stays near me. She sits on the couch in my office, and if I leave the room for too long she looks for me. 

When we come home from work or school, she often greets us at the door (yes, sometimes she is just hungry, but sometimes she just wants to rub up against us and get some attention.)

When our son goes to bed at night, she wanders into the family room to sit with my husband and I as we watch television together. She sleeps most of the night on the bed between our feet. If she loses track of us and suddenly hears us upstairs, she will come racing up the steps to be with us.

In short, she is part of the family

We've known that for as long as we've had cats, but it is nice to have science confirm it. I think this is especially important for our son to know - sometimes he gets upset when his friends talk about how they don't like cats as much as dogs and label them as aloof or uncaring. He can be assured that our little cat is a full-fledged member of the family and she even thinks of us that way. (It also makes me feel slightly less weird about calling myself her Mommy.)

Our furry friends bring so much to our lives, and it is so important for our children to learn all the benefits of life with a pet. 

Have you given your pets some extra love today? Tell me in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment