Friday, August 23, 2019

The back-to-school blues

School starts in our area next week and the back-to-school blues are rampant in our home. My son (who has had a magical summer) is trying to squeeze every last ounce of fun out of his final "free" hours. This has made it difficult to ask him to do anything that he doesn't want to do (like get dressed or go to the store), but we grumble through it.

I know there is a small part of him that is excited. He does want to see the friends that he has missed over the summer and he has some other activities to look forward to already. It's just about getting back into the habit.

As parents, we have been mentally preparing for the return to school for a while now. Those tips for transitioning lists have been swirling around us for several weeks: Supplies have been bought, forms have been signed, routines have been re-thought through and arrangements have been made.

We're ready.

And yet, I know that on that first day when I watch my son leave the car and walk back into his school I will feel a tinge of sadness that he's entering a new grade and growing faster than I can take in some days. 

Hence, the back-to-school blues.

Do you have any special tips or tricks for back-to-school time? Tell me about them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment