Wednesday, May 22, 2019

The bonds between Mothers and Daughters

I have - more than once - affectionately referred to my Mom as my life coach. It's an appropriate title for someone who raised me, ensured I was prepared for the world, acted as my sounding board when I needed one and continued to encourage me along the way.

When I was a teen, I used to listen to the details of my friends' relationships with their Mothers. Those relationships bore no resemblance to the one I had. Most of my friends fought with their Moms more often than they got along with them. I would hear them claim that they "were on good terms this week," or that "their Mother was impossible" or that their Mother was too involved.

I have always been grateful that my Mom and I have gotten along.

I am also grateful that my Mom let our relationship grow over time. She has figured out how to give me freedom but also let me know that I can rely on her when I need to. That probably means that she has had to hold her tongue on lots of occasions.

As an adult, I have heard my friends talk about how their relationships with their own Moms have changed. I hear much more uplifting comments and their hopes that they will be able to follow in that same footpath as their daughters grow up.

The strength of a Mother-Daughter bond is like no other. And if you need the science to prove that, here it is: Our overall moods are more influenced by the relationship with our Mothers, more than any other person in our family. This holds true even when Daughters have families of their own.

So, thanks Mom, for everything you've done to help me grow up. Even when I didn't live in your house anymore. Even when you had to let me go down the wrong path to learn something. Even when you knew I could do better.

I am so glad you are my Mom.

How has your relationship with your Mother changed with you becoming a parent? Tell me in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment