Friday, April 12, 2019

The working Mom scale

When I was pregnant, I got asked a lot of questions. Some of them were expected, like "boy or girl?" or "when are you due?" or "what are you craving?" One question that I wasn't prepared for (but got a lot) was "are you going to return to work?"

I am not an idiot: I know that some women take a leave from the working world to raise their baby. What was odd was when I answered in the affirmative and the response was "well, you can't say that for sure; you never know."

But I was sure I knew. My husband and I both work. Working was important to me. I had my son and went back to work. Of course it was hard to leave him, but I believed I made the right choice for me and my family in the long run.

I was interested to learn where I fell on the scale of working Moms - those women who returned to work after having a baby and when they returned. It turns out that there is a lot of variance. Factors like family support, working status before the baby and household income all play a big role.

I like my family. I like my job. I am happy to have both, but I know that my life might not work for every Mom.

Did you return to work after having your child? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment