Friday, March 15, 2019

Beyond Monopoly and Clue

Some of the best fun my family has is when we are playing a game together. It doesn't matter if it is a round or two of UNO while we wait for dinner to arrive in a restaurant or if it is a full hour of 5-Minute Dungeon on a Saturday afternoon. We love to play games.

My wonderful husband built us shelves in the family room closet awhile ago, and I like to look at all the games we have piled up on those shelves. Yes, we have the classic games of Trouble and Sorry!, but we also have more modern games like Settlers of Catan and Qwirkle. There is a nice mix of strategy and spacial thinking games, as well as ones that are competitive and ones that are cooperative.

We have come such a long way since Candy Land and Operation. While I know those games serve a purpose - to teach children how to follow rules and play fairly and lose at something - I think a lot of next-level games let our children down. There is an exciting world of board and card games out there that let kids (and adults) have fun while also teaching new skills.

As for us, my son is never happier than when he is kicking my butt at a game. And I know that they don't all have to be big-thinking kind of games. The main idea has not changed: We play together and we have fun together.

(And Mommy wins.)

What is your family's favorite board game? Share with me in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment