Monday, October 15, 2018

Everyone is arguing over screen time

It has occurred to me (on more than one occasion) that it doesn't actually matter what the screen time rules are in our household, because someone will find a reason to argue over them.

I say this because we've recently swapped the model in our household, where our son no longer automatically receives screen time every day (his to lose) but has to earn it through good choices and behaviors (his to gain). He's not happy about it, especially when he likes to point out that this is not the way it works in his friends' households or that his parents are above these rules.

I hear his arguments, but they do not sway me: Screen time restrictions exist in our home for a reason.

I am also not swayed by any arguments by my son because it seems that all smartphone device rules cause family fights. Daily.

Of course they do: No one likes limits on the things that they become addicted to. And smartphone use is definitely an addiction.

My son pleads his case and I remain firm. Will he bring up the topic again tomorrow? Probably. But, in my defense, I have notice fewer fights around the topic since we've made the switch, since it is no longer a given right. Only time will tell me if this works out long term.

What are the current device rules in your household? Share them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment