Wednesday, May 9, 2018

The music that binds us

My son is groggy and sluggish in the morning, so I play some peppy music from the 80s to wake him up. After a few songs, he is still sleepy, but slightly happier. Eventually, he dances to the music and even sings some of the words. This puts me in a better mood because I know the words, too, so we can dance and sing together.

Later on, it occurs to me that the music we were singing and dancing to was more than 30 years old.

Drat.

The next morning, my son is groggy and I play the Kidz Bop station on She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named. My son is still dancing and singing along and tells me which songs he likes. I find that I don't like several of the songs, and I don't know most of the words.

But I think that is OK. Because what I've recently learned is that there is some research that suggests if parents can stay interested in the same music as their children, then they can deepen their connections with them.

I can understand this thinking. To this day, if I hear a Basia song, I instantly think of my Mom and how we would listen to her tapes in the car rides to dance class. Music has the ability to create memories out of everyday moments. It is important for us to be involved in the soundtrack to our children's lives.

What type of music does your child like listening to? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment