Friday, May 25, 2018

My Mom says I can't play with you anymore

There are a few of my son's friends that I don't care for. I know they are just kids. I know that my son likes them. But, I don't.

I can't even tell you exactly what it is about these children that I don't like. I don't think it is any one thing. Maybe it's because they are exposed to older-kid subjects through older siblings, and I don't like the way they pass that stuff on to my son. Maybe it's because every time I am around them I notice behavior that I don't like and worry that my son will forget his good behaviors. Maybe it's a combination of these things.

I try very hard to not influence who my son plays with. (With one notable exception: And I am sure his teachers are thankful for that intervention since they got each other in trouble every time they interacted.) But, I didn't always realize how much influence parenting behaviors have over their children's friendships. But this is more than just "I don't like that kid." Parents who suffer from depression or other disorders have such a negative effect on their children's lives, that it becomes difficult for children to navigate and maintain social relationships.

My son is going to have a lot of relationships in his life. He has already forgotten some of the children he used to go to pre-school with and pines over some kids who have moved away. I want my son to learn how to make and maintain friendships over his lifetime. And, hopefully, learn which friends to keep and which ones to get rid of on his own.

Which childhood friend do you miss the most? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment