Friday, January 12, 2018

Keeping paper in the world

I am teaching my son cursive.

He was reading some Diary of a Wimpy Kids books and couldn't read the cursive bits...when I asked the school if they taught handwriting, they said no. I don't understand why handwriting is no longer taught - at least to the level that children are able to read it. So, I teach it to my son at home.


And he writes me love notes in cursive now. Pretty notes with "I love you, Mom" on them. And those little scraps of paper are beautiful and something I'll hold onto forever.

And that is one reason why paper will always be around.

There are some people who believe that paper will eventually go away, but those are the people who forget everything we use paper for - not just books and letters, but tissues and napkins, too. Paper is really everywhere.

I love paper.

For scrapbooking, and notes and cards and pretty decorations, I have reams and reams of paper in my office. And I let my son use whatever paper of mine he wants. I want him to appreciate how important writing is and how paper is still a big part of that.

So, I leave him notes on his desk in secret codes for him to translate, and he writes me love notes back. We cut out snowflakes and do crafts. We talk about the feel of a paper book in our hands instead of reading on the screen. And, we keep paper in our lives.

What is the best note you've ever gotten from your child? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment