Monday, October 9, 2017

Keeping tv out of the bedroom

In my fantasy life, I would have a treadmill in the family room where we keep the television. This way, if I wanted to watch tv, I would pair it with the treadmill and get more exercise in my life as I walked to watch.

But, that fantasy hasn't come true (yet).

I like that we have a television in our family room, which is not in the main area of our home. Keeping the television in that room is a very purposeful out-of-sight/out-of-mind act. And while my husband and I do have a tv in our bedroom, there is one place I don't ever want a tv: In our son's bedroom.

While I understand that a lot of parents put televisions in their child's bedrooms so they can play video games or watch their own shows, I feel like it makes my job as a parent harder. While there is not too much trouble my son could get up to now, would that case change as he became a teenager and has access to shows/games that I am unaware of? I feel like it is easier for me to say no to a private television now (and stick to those guns) than take a television out of his room later on.

My son has never asked for a television in his room, and if he did, I would remind him that we don't let him have any other devices stay in his room at night. Because the lesson I want my son to learn is that his bedroom is his sanctuary for rest and removing himself from the noisy world.

And that is really difficult to do with a television on in the background.

Did you have a television in your bedroom when you were a child? Tell me why you liked it (or didn't) in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment