Friday, August 18, 2017

Working hard for the money

My son was in the loft playing office.

Even if he hadn't told me this several times, I would have been able to figure it out based on the number of "important meetings" and "back-to-back" phone calls he said he had. At some point he told me his calendar is booked but he scheduled himself a break so he could eat breakfast with me.

And since this all sounds awfully familiar, I started to feel bad. But, because I emphatically wanted to know this was all my doing, I asked him, "Who's office are you working at?"

"Your office, Mommy," he said. "We have a lot of meetings today, don't we?"

I love my job, but I never really thought about the effect my working would have on my son at this age. But, I guess it makes sense: We absorb our parents' work ethic, even if we want to rebel against it. Although the study on that link may be small, the idea behind it is big: Our children will figure out how hard they want to work in life based on watching us.

My Dad's job when I was little was always a bit of a mystery to me. I knew where he worked, but didn't really understand his job until I was much older. When my Mom went back to work, I had a clearer understanding of her job, and how hard she worked, and how much she cared about her team. It's clear that some of that has made its way into how I view my job today.

And even clearer to me is how much my Mom must have struggled with her own work/life balance issues when she was raising me. I guess she is the one I should go to when I need a few tips on how to keep the scales of work and play evenly distributed.

Who's work ethic has your child inherited? Tell me what you think in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment