Monday, December 10, 2018

What our children worry about

I am always surprised when my son is paying attention to the money that we spend as a family. For example, we recently bought an inflatable for our holiday decorations, and he was upset over the amount of money we were spending on it - at least until I explained to him that the price of the inflatable was spread out over several years and led to our overall enjoyment. After that math breakdown, he relaxed a bit.

I have had many conversations with my son around money. And I have noticed that the majority of them are prompted by something that happens at school - something to do with his friends' comments on money or spending or something similar. So, I know that this is a topic my son has on his mind more often than he needs to.

I remind my son of the basics: That our family budgets, and pays attention to money and that we have enough money to pay for what we need. In short: I don't want him to worry about money. I know that some of that is out of my control - my son will worry about whatever he wants to worry about - but my job is not to add worries to his life.

What do you think your child worries about? Let me know in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment